I am happy linux user, happily running openSUSE 11.0 on all machines. Till today, I had no problems of any kind. Today, I had to get some information from brazillian Federal Police’s site. Even though brazillian government uses linux, that particular page has a consult query available only for Internet Explorer.
I tried to execute code with Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, Lynx… nothing worked. Whole form was hidden.
Then I tried IE extensions for Firefox. Some page renderes, IE emulators etc. That didn’t worked either. 30 minutes lost.
Finally, I remembered that I have Wine installed (Wine Is Not Emulator), a program that runs Windows API. It can run windows’ programs, games etc.
I downloaded IE 6 SP1 from microsoft site (200K windows exe installer that downloads IE and installs it), and ran it with Wine.
Downloading… installing… emulating windows reboot… Worked!
With IE 6, installed in my Linux, I was able to open the site and get information that I needed.
Ok, now there is no barrier anymore for some nasty programming practices.